Monday

R.I.P Trayvon Martin

I am sure that most of you have heard of what is being called "An American Tragedy". Which is the unjust shooting of 17 yr old Trayvon Martin, if you haven't, a quick Google search will inform you with numerous details. The bottom line is that a neighborhood watchmen shot Trayvon while he was unarmed and running through a white collar, gated community wearing a hoodie over his head in attempt to get home in the rain. Finally 45 days later the man was charged with murder in the second degree and I am unsure of the current trial updates.
There has been constant media coverage and there is one recent poll that has been of much debate. The poll taken by Reuters/Ipsos, showed that 91% of African Americans believed Trayvon was unjustly killed while only 37% of Caucasians felt that way. The Hispanic community lied in between at 49%. For details click here http://www.ipsos-na.com/news-polls/pressrelease.aspx?id=5585 from that page you can then download the full results which are very surprising.
I believe that the results represent how much racism is still a big problem not only here in the United States but globablly. I think that social and family institutions of the people polled played a huge factor in their feelings/responses.
I saw a similar dichotomy in my own community, at the time in South Anchorage, after 9/11. We lived in a part of Anchorage that was predominately white, however I was very close friends with a Muslim girl named Ayesha and my family with her family. I cannot recall the number of years ago they had moved from their home state in the Middle East, but it was not long. Almost directly after the 9/11 occurrence Ayesha and her siblings were largely shunned by those at school, even those who were once their "friends".
The hate was felt beyond just at school. Her father owns a very successfull used vehicle dealership. Suddenly his business fell under huge scrutiny by officials and was almost shut down. There were numerous false accusations and audits done. I was horrified.
Years may have passed since then but the hate is still there in our neighborhoods, as shown by the Trayvon Martin case.

No comments: