Sunday

Culture clash with Religion

I am Aleut. My culture is Unangax and my religion is Russian Orthodox. I have never followed my religion how I follow my culture. Russian Orthodoxy is very strict and very precise in how things are done by the way of the church. My culture however is exciting and interesting. As an Unangan it is in my culture to get my lower lip pierced when I became a "woman" aka when I started my monthly gift*. So, when I started my so called gift, I got my lip pierced. It is against my religion to get piercings or tattoos, but then why would it be in my culture to do so? When I dance with my Native dance group, Atxam Taligisnikangis, the girls wear head dresses, paint our faces with lines across our cheeks and down our chins (once you are a "woman") and have our piercings in, because it is in our culture to do so. I have even known some Unangans to get tattoos across their cheeks and down their chins along with the piercings that are in our culture to have, but when we go into our church and our Priest or Bishop sees these so called "indiscretion's" we get looked upon as if we have done something so wrong and evil that we feel as if we shouldn't even be in the church. How can my culture and my religion, two social constructions, clash so severely that we get looked upon as though we are not worthy of being Russian Orthodox? Can't we follow our culture and still be accepted into our religion, or has it changed to much since the Russians took over the Aleutians years ago? Aleut isn't even an Unangan word, it is a Russian word that we were called and that stuck with us. Did my culture and religion once, back in the day, not clash? Is it only because Russians took us over that my religion is so strict as to not even let me follow my culture properly? If I had to make a choice of culture or religion, I would without a doubt choose culture, because that is what holds the values and beliefs that I follow.

No comments: