Sunday

Coming out in Fairbanks and RTRT

Tonight I went to go see As Sure as God Made Little Green Apples, which in case you weren't in class last Tuesday, is a stage performance by Revive The Red Tent Productions made up of the stories of local Fairbanks lesbians under the age of thirty. The show includes several movement pieces, mixed with some reading of stories, and monologues/dialogues. It was very interesting to see what is essentially a work in progress of a show, that will, once finished become extremely powerful and well put together.

As the stories were told, I began to think about myself, and my experiences with friends coming out to me, and my own eventual coming out as bisexual. Do I have a story? I'm not particularly certain that I'd say that I do, coming out for me was pretty uneventful for me. The first person I told was one of my two best friends, and she had divulged her own sexuality to me a couple of years earlier, so the whole event was relatively low stress.

I Would say that quite possibly the worst portion of the whole process was that everyone else already knew, and told me so. When I told my mother, all she said was that she had thought that I might be. I have yet to tell my father, and it is questionable whether or not I shall do so anytime soon. I have always been very well supported, and have only been hassled about my sexuality once or twice.

There is a bit more to my story, but that is more recent history and has yet to be fully resolved, and this doesn't seem quite like the time or place for that. (Which is kind of stupid of me, considering this class is sort of an excellent place for it to be discussed, especially considering we were just talking about how personal stories and the like can be tied into learning)

I apologize for how ridiculously late this is.

No comments: