Thursday

Women Pay More For Health Insurance Than Men

I couldn't think of anything to write for this blog post, so I posted on Facebook asking my friends for some help. I got a comment telling me to check out the USAFV Facebook page. USAFV stands for Unalaskans Against Sexual Assault and Family Violence. On their page are a bunch of links for feminist topics and other information. I picked this one about health insurance gaps between genders because it seems to relate most to our enduring concepts.

Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Unalaskans-Against-Sexual-Assault-and-Family-Violence-USAFV/10150134411305099

Website: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/19/health/policy/women-still-pay-more-for-health-insurance-data-shows.html?_r=4

Why do insurance companies charge more to women than men? How is this gender gap fair? Women and men should be considered equal in every way yet there is still many gender discrepancies.

In the article I read that a woman with a Blue Cross Blue Shield plan in Chicago pays $375 a month, that is 31% higher than what a man pays. Insurance companies today still incorporate gender and age into rate quotes unless it is against the law.

Why are women considered more at risk then men for insurance companies? Is it all just a sexist thing or are there actual facts making it so insurance companies have reasons to charge women more for the same coverage a man receives.

I believe that this gender gap with insurance companies goes against all fairness and should be leveled out. I understand the reasons insurance companies charge more to people who smoke but just because the person is female doesn't mean that they are less healthy than a man. In my eyes men are more risky for insurance companies to take on. I had no idea there was so much gender gaps still to this day.

No comments: